Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Things I learned crashing my bike

Hey!  I'm back!  I've put a rough semester behind me, and I've still got stuff to say!  So this last Saturday, I crashed while riding my bike.  You might be wondering what I was doing on my bike in February in Utah. I'm just wondering what ice was doing in the road on such a warm, sunny day!  I'll admit that as I was flung over my handlebars that my immediate thoughts weren't "I've got to blog about this..." (all I thought was "Oh crap..."), but there are a few things that I've learned from this experience:

1)  Helmets are wonderful things



This dent on my helmet prevented about 800 Newtons worth of force from being applied over a half a second to my left temple.  Medicine is not my specialty, but it seems sufficient to say that preventing the amount of force that a horse can pull with from being applied to my head was a good thing.

2)  You can't shave when your face is covered in road rash.
3)  Apparently, it isn't a crime to break a face as perfect as mine because no one's been arrested yet.
4)  I can actually grow a mustache and beard in 3 days.
5)  The noise that a helmet makes when coming into contact with pavement is loud and rather sickening.  It is, however, much more pleasant than the noise flesh makes when coming into contact with pavement.
6)  It has been really entertaining coming up with stories as to what happened to me.  I think my favorite was the one about saving poor children from a burning orphanage and terrorist squirrels.
7)  People don't notice zits when you have stitches in your face.
8)  Don't take your eyes off of the road.
9)  Gratitude is the feeling you feel when you realize that it could have been worse...a whole lot worse.
10)  Always...ALWAYS wear your helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment