Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Striving - a memory

In my first post, I told you that I view this blog as if it were my journal that I don't mind being public.  In that context, I feel no regret sharing a memory.  Yes, it is deeply rooted in my religious beliefs, but there are principles that I think can be universally applied.

President Thomas S. Monson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is quoted as saying many times, "Who the Lord calls, He qualifies."  Serving as an LDS missionary between 2008 and 2010, I definitely know that this is true.  I was called to serve in Washington state, and over and over I found myself doing things way outside my comfort zone and/or way beyond my abilities.  I received blessings that enabled me to love people more than I ever had.  An introvert in an inherently extroverted endeavor, I was able to open up and talk to people and help them.  It was a truly rewarding experience.

In June 2010, I returned home, and gradually returned to my former reserved self, but I still hold a deep, lasting love for the people that I met in my heart.  And when I do get the chance to go up to Washington, it feels at times that I'm returning home.  I've noticed that I'm a different person when I'm in Washington--a better person.  It may just be an interesting phenomenon that I can't adequately describe.  But others have noticed as well.  I offer the memory I mentioned earlier as an example.  I remember taking my family with me to meet a few friends in Washington, and after a dinner with an incredible family, my parents said that they almost didn't recognize me.  I was so engaged in conversation that it was like I was a completely different person.

Moral of the story?  I think a lot of people have identified ways that they can improve their lives and be better people.  That's an effort that lasts a lifetime, and it's well worth pursuing.  For me, I'm not perfect, and I don't always remember and/or care to try.  But I do strive to be the person that I was in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment