Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Omnia sol

Tonight, I went to a choir concert at my old high school.  I was on Spring Break, and I had the night free, so I decided to go.  First off, they sounded amazing!  One thing you'll need to know about me is that I have perfect pitch, and I am always listening critically when I hear a choir or pianist, so that last statement isn't something trivial.  But that's not why I'm writing.
To close, they sand a song written by Z. Randall Stroope called "Omnia Sol."  It was a song that my choir sang when I was a senior in high school, and it is a song of saying goodbye by celebrating life.  It is a really cool song, though it is kind of sad.  It made me think back over the past 5 or 6 years to my junior/senior years of high school, my mission, and college life so far.  I've had some incredible experiences, and hearing these lyrics made me sad and nostalgic:

"...One last embrace before I cross the threshold,
To life we sing

O stay your soul and leave my heart its song
O stay your hand, the journey may be long
And when we part, and sorrow can't be sway'd,
Remember when, and let your heart be staid.

Omnia sol, temperat
   (The Sun warms everything)
Absens in remota    
   (although we are far away)
Ama me fideliter      
   (Love me faithfully)
Fidem mean noto    
   (even as I have loved you)"

Sometimes it's hard to look to the future.  In that instant of hearing that song, I must confess that I really longed to go back.  I have crossed so many threshold recently, and there are quite a few ahead that hide everything from my view, hence some apprehension.  But who am I kidding?  Even though there are wonderful things in the past to reflect on, the future is bright indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment