Friday, March 9, 2012

Confessions of a physicist

Today, I found this on campus, and the thoughts of curiosity almost killed me.  Even now, the mystery of what this switch does is making my heart beat faster.  Taunting me even more is the fact that this switch is totally unguarded and open for anybody to flip it just to see what it does.
It reminded me of when I was really little.  I had the nickname "Fingers" because I was always pushing buttons and such.  My grandpa even proposed strapping a looped tape player to my back to repeat the phrase "No, Shawn" over and over so that I wouldn't get into trouble.  One time, pushed a big green button in my grandparents' garage, just because it was a big green button.  Well, it turned on Grandpa's huge table saw, which made enough noise to absolutely terrify a little 5 year-old.  I quickly turned it off, ran to the backyard and hid behind a bush because I was certain that I would get grounded until I was old enough to drive.  I hid back there for about 10-15 minutes (which is an eternity for a 5 year old).  The funny thing was...no one had even realized what my curiosity had done.
Anyway, today in my physics class, after having discovered the epic switch of mystery, my teacher was trying to explain to us a certain property of waves.  To illustrate, he asked us if we had ever played with lacy curtains that old people often have.  He told us that if we folded them, wiggled them and played with them a little, we could observe a certain wave phenomenon that we're currently studying.  I had a pretty good laugh because I realized that I actually had observed and wondered about what he was describing in the car, in curtains, in fences, on buildings, etc.
And it all clicked into place.  I'm obsessively curious sometimes.  No wonder I'm a physicist.

No comments:

Post a Comment