Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Singing in General Conference

As many of you already know, I had a chance to sing in the Priesthood (Men's) Session of LDS General Conference this past weekend.  Thankfully, I found videos of the songs we performed edited and posted on Youtube, and I really wanted to share them on my blog.  As a group, we worked really hard, and I think you'll agree that the end result is really something that we can be proud of.  One piece of advice before you watch: don't watch these videos with annotations turned on.


The first song, a metaphor that teaches of Christ, likens the Savior to a guide on the sea.  After living in Washington, I definitely love Gospel analogies that are related to the sea...they remind me of the beautiful Puget Sound.  The second song provides strong encouragement to do your best, press on to the future, or "Carry On."  For those of you that may be reading that don't know me, I realize haven't posted a picture of myself yet.  Consider 2:01 our formal introduction.  For you choir and/or physics nerds (I am both), listen to the overtones we achieve on the last note!!


Our last song is one that I wasn't previously very familiar with.  It provides another powerful metaphor; Jesus Christ is the Good Shepherd.  It is a stunningly beautiful piece of music, and we get some good overtones in on this one, too.  Also, for you trivia buffs, we changed two words.  Bonus points for the person who can identify which two.  (The changed words make the song's message even more powerful)


Overall, this experience has required quite a bit of sacrifice and work.  It has also been a priceless, sacred experience.  I learned a ton (the connections between the messages of the songs are seemingly endless), and I felt like I grew a lot.  Our conductors invited us to be better people, and I definitely feel like I'm much better off for having participated in this choir.  In all, I'm profoundly grateful for this incredible experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment